The meeting at CADA will start at 6:15 p.m. (MDT) with drinks and networking, and dinner will be served at 6:30. Zoom attendees may sign on shortly before 7:00 for the start of the program. See the full agenda below.
To register to attend in person, please use the link below. Please sign up before Monday, September11th to reserve your spot.
Zoom attendance is free and there is no need to register. Members will receive the meeting link via email. Non-members, please send an email to email@example.com to request access.
- Old Fashioned Beef Stew
- Chunks of beef, potato and carrots simmered in an aromatic brown stock until fork tender
- Jalapeño cheddar corn bread
- Seasonal greens salad
- Baked rolls and butter
- Dessert tray
- Tea, coffee, and water included. Wine and beer are available for a suggested cash donation of $3.00 per drink.
- 6:15 Networking and drinks
- 6:30 Dinner
- 7:00 Introductions and Member News
- 7:30 Mystery Minute
- 7:40 Program
Carl Vonderau –
How to be a Successful Money Launderer
Every world class villain should know how to launder money. Even heroes who have to do some slightly illegal things need to know the basics. Carl will talk about what money laundering is, how it started and where it is now. What are the different phases and challenges of each phase? Who are the people dedicated to stopping it and what thwarts them? Then there is cryptocurrency. Is it really the foolproof method for laundering ill-gotten gains?
In this talk you will learn
- People are doing this everywhere.
- The three phases of laundering that every shady accountant knows: placement, layering, and integration.
- How do you get those darn dollars into the financial system?
- Making sure no one knows where your newfound wealth came from.
- International trade—tweaks to what every good drug smuggler already knows.
- How do you spend the money to keep up with your peers?
- Why they are so annoying and never stop wanting information.
- What you should know about them because they already know about you.
- Where are the bankers and lawyers you need to know?
- What the bean counters will use to put you behind bars.
- I thought this was supposed to make it easier.
Carl Vonderau grew up in Cleveland in a religious family that believed that God could heal all illness. No wonder he escaped to California. He attended at Stanford and discovered a whole new world. Carl graduated in economics and then studied music at San Jose State. His parents were not thrilled. But they were relieved when he became a banker. That career enabled him to live and work in Latin America, Canada, and North Africa. He’s put his foot in his mouth in Spanish, French and Portuguese. He also became a dual U.S. and Canadian citizen. His debut thriller, MURDERABILIA, was published in 2019 and won Left Coast Crime and San Diego Book awards. SAVING EVAN is his second novel and was published in August, 2023.
Nonprofit work also inspires him. He is the president of Partners in Crime, The San Diego chapter of the Sisters in Crime organization of authors and fans of crime writing. Additionally, he’s a partner at San Diego Social Venture Partners, an organization that mentors other nonprofits.
Carl lives with his wife in San Diego. His two grown sons are close by and wonder how he knows so much about serial killers and banking crimes.